To pose or not to pose, that is the question...

21:23

As a wedding photographer this has been one of the areas I've struggled with a lot. My love for images lie in their ability to capture a real moment, and I used to worry that this authenticity was lost when an image is posed. I was torn between capturing the story of the day organically, whilst at the same time wanting the pretty portraits you see on all these amazing wedding blogs (not to mention parents always seem to want a wedding portrait too!)

As time went on however, I began to realise that every moment at a wedding carries it's own mark of authenticity. Even if I might be asking you to stand here and look at each other, I can't manufacture what you are feeling. That is still very real and that is what ultimately makes it a pretty picture.

It was then I realised to be or not to be was indeed the question. You see, I'm a little shy, a little introspective, and not a big talker (that's why I blog and take photographs!) So the thought of having to find my actual voice, and speak up, was a little daunting. 

But I love those pretty pictures.  I hate being in front of the camera myself, but I would love those pretty pictures.  And you know what, if I was getting married again, I would definitely expect my photographer to have his/her voice ready to get me some of those pretty pictures!

I want to be that photographer, and so, although for most of the day I am just quietly and unobtrusively documenting the real moments as they happen;  for 20-30 minutes I find courage, and with it, my voice.   Because every Big Day (and album) should have these pretty pictures.  And trust me, even if you hate "posing" in front of the camera, you will be more annoyed later that you didn't do it; so if you have to, be brave with me!

No comments: