"Marriage is those two thousand indistinguishable conversations, chatted over 2000 indistinguishable breakfasts, where intimacy turns like a slow wheel."
In her book, Committed, Elizabeth Gilbert refers to something the poet Jack Gilbert (no relation) once said when he described marriage as that which "happens between the memorable". Indeed, if I look back over the last 9 years with Cam, it is clearly the highs and lows which stand out, and although those moments form crucial milestones in our marriage, it is in fact all the non-descript days inbetween which actually knits it together.
It is the everyday which is the bedrock of our marriage. The often unmemorable.
Yet photographs can work wonders as story catchers. Holding a memory for you long after you may have forgotten it. For the first three years of our marriage, I utilised this tool, and created albums every year, on our anniversary, documenting the details of the last year we spent together. I wish I hadn't allowed complacency to take over, because sitting down with a cuppa, and reliving those mini adventures of our early years is great fun. The last 6 years however, sit adrift in cleverly abbreviated filenames on my hard drive, rarely seeing the light of day.
This is something I plan to change, and I am starting this month with a fun photo project.
Because if I am lucky, 20 years down the line, this December will be a blurred memory morphed within 20 other such months. Yet by creating a photobook of the month, I will be reminded of the ordinary magic which exists in our everyday, the 'non-events' that layer on top of each other to create the rich tapestry which becomes our life together.

1 comment:
Life is an accumulation of moments ~ each and everyone is special :-)
Post a Comment