Birthday Thoughts.

23:00

*

It's my birthday today, and other than spending the majority of the day working on the images from a recent wedding shoot (what can I say, I love what I do), I have been thinking about how to mark this day. Similar to how many people find significance in a New Year (myself included), I thought the same could be applied to one's own birthday...

It all started with a wonderfully thoughtful gift from my dear sister-in-law in Australia, part of which included a book called, "Living Oprah". Aside from my own Oprah obsession, the book also made me think about blogging (she thanks her blog readers in the beginning) and about what power a blog can have: think Julie & Julia. Now, I haven't exactly come up with my own 365-Birth-Day-Challenge-Blogging-Phenomenon-Book-Deal idea, but it did make me question my own intention with my blog.

You see, I used to have a more personal blog, but since I decided to amalgamate it with my "business" blog, I have struggled with what to write about. I guess now I am about to actively encourage people to the site - it becomes something a lot different. Do I, can I, continue to blog about more personal thoughts now, knowing potential customers may be looking at it? Should it be more business focused? Should I have kept my personal blog separate? It's tough. How much of myself do I want to share with my clients? Will it be bad for business? Put them off even?

To be honest, I am still unsure. But I know the reason I blog is to connect with people (and I have met an amazing group of women in the process already). I guess I hope that by sharing a little of myself, others may feel inclined to share a little of themselves too. And the thing is, I want the same thing in business too. So I guess, if I am asking people to share one of the most important days in their life with me, the least I can do is reveal a little more about who I am in addition to what I do.

Maybe this is my 365 Birthday Challenge after all. To build a business based on who I really am, and trust in the process. Because I really do love what I do.

8 comments:

Jo said...

First - it makes my heart sing to hear you love what you do :)
Second - I'm thinking of some of the dog photography blogs that you and I love. They often seem to work in both business and personal. I think people love to have A Real Person to come to when they want someone who can make a connection with them and their lives.
It is hard. I haven't cracked it yet and so have more than one blog. I tend to be overly confessional about my private life and dude...who needs it when you're looking for a dog walker :D?
You'll find your way. You always do. You have the magic touch. xx

sas said...

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
so lovely to hear that you love what you do. and you just OOOZE talent.
the online presence thing is a hard one to crack and i think its fine to separate or bring them together.
there are no rules.
i hope you have had a magical day. six more sleeps until i see you :)
xxx

lisa said...

happy birthday day sweet one! here's to 365 days of wonder!

Lis said...

And we love what you do! Your images are always so inspiring ... both encouraging me to pick up my camera and engage in my world and also just to celebrate what is all around us in any given moment.

Belated birthday wishes! I can totally understand your need to focus your intentions and energy and to dive in deeply. That said, I do miss reading your words and contemplating the world with the light you shine upon it.

much love

xo Lis

Diana said...

Happy birthday!

I leave the personal stuff out of my blog (nothing too personal that will make my clients cringe or think twice on why they hired me), but I do have a personal journal for this.

good luck!

Anonymous said...

YOU are amazing. i love you and i love what you do. and happy happy birthday, dear one. i am beyond grateful to have you in my life. i know that others are, too. show them, be it, because, like i already said, you are amazing.

love you so.
lisa

Anonymous said...

YOU are amazing. i love you and i love what you do. and happy happy birthday, dear one. i am beyond grateful to have you in my life. i know that others are, too. show them, be it, because, like i already said, you are amazing.

love you so.
lisa

Meri said...

I suspect you'll decide to separate the personal and the professional at some point.